Battery Holder

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by tgalx3, Dec 9, 2023.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I’m having trouble coming up with a good design for a battery holder in my Bismarck. I’ve built a couple designs out of wood and ABS but was never really happy with either.

does anyone have a design they really like?

2. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

Its all about what fits in the boat and what size and how many....

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

sorry. Should have specified. I have lots of room in the boat. I’m using two 6000mAh Goldedt LiPo batteries.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Lets take a look at tomorrow's build session and figure something out. I'll bring a few examples of what I've used in other ships, and discuss what I'm planning for my I-boat and VDT.

5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I am printing out a couple of the same battery holders from the Lutzow (a little bigger) as a fail safe/option.

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

2 6000mah in a bismarck?

[​IMG]

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

hahaha!!! I’m embarrassed. I should be ashamed of myself.

seriously though? 12000mah is not enough? I calculated (estimated) that they should last me 30 minutes of hard fighting. That might not cut it for NATS but up here 30 minutes for two sorties is reasonable.

what should I be looking for?

In my first Bismarck, I had two lead acid batteries that were 6v. I could battle all day on those babies. In my current Bis I have all brushless motors and ESCs. I didn't think I could go with lead acid again because of that. BUT! I would prefer the lead acids for the weight or something like it

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Thats about enough for Indiana to run for 8~ minutes if I'm fighting hard. Generally I recommend (at 3s) 2 5200 packs for a cruiser/small BC, and general rule of thumb is 2 batteries per pump. So Indiana carries 6, sometimes 8, 5200mah lipos. JB3 takes 8. Thats 40ah in the boat @ 3s.

9. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Good LORD! So your telling me since I have one pump and one drive I should have 4 6000Mah LiPos?

10. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Yes, basically. That *should* last an entire battle. Better to have surplus battery than lead ballast.

11. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

True story. Don't want to be dead on the water.

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between 50C and 80C for a LiPo? Is that the discharge rate?

13. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Yes. In our hobby, almost not important. So long as its above 20~ you're fine. In the RC car world, you'll puff packs overdrawing them with crazy powerful brushless drives in heavy cars.

14. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Cool! Appreciate the insight!

15. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Can you mix Mah batteries? For example, can I put two 6000s with 2 5200s in the same system. Or is that a boom boom scenario?

16. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

See kotori answer

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  17. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Short answer, you're not supposed to mix mAh and/or C-ratings within the same circuit. Long answer, it comes down to load sharing. Different batteries have different internal resistance, which affects the proportional load that each battery will carry. This is roughly indicated by the battery's C-rating. If you have different C-ratings, the higher-C batteries will deplete before the lower-C batteries. Theoretically you could use different mAh batteries, as long as they are properly matched so they carry the proper proportion of load and they all deplete at the same time. The really high-end batteries for competitive racing are "matched cells", meaning each cell within the battery has been tested to have virtually identical capacity and cell resistance. That said, as long as you're not mixing wildly different battery capacities/C-ratings and you're not fully draining them in minutes, it's probably OK. If you are really concerned, just run them on separate circuits. Use the 5200's to power your drive and the 6000's to power your pump.

tgalx3 likes this.
  18. Nomercy

I run 2-5200 for drive, 2-14v 7000 for my pump and a separate 2000 for my solinoids in my NC.

19. Nomercy

I also change the pump batteries between sorties

20. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I am not married to the 6000s/55c. They are still good batteries and would like to get the full life out of them. My ideal scenario is to be able to use my 6000mah/55c batteries until they die and then switch to 5200mah/50c without having to change any of the wiring. I would get the 6000s again but I can't find them on Amazon anymore.