Wire Connectors

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by tgalx3, Jun 8, 2023.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I never thought it would be this hard to find wire connectors. I’m trying connect 10 AWG to 12 AWG. Anyone have a good lead on wire connectors. The smallest connectors I can find currently are for 12AWG

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Xt60s

notSoGnarly likes this.
  3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

will those work on 10 AWG? I have those currently?

4. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

Yes it will work. I have 12AWG on my 60s right now and 10AWG should fit as well if not then go with XT 90s they are bigger. if you have a set of helping hands it makes it much easier to solder

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Seconded. I standardized my fleet on XT60s. A lot of other people do too, unless their boats draw so much power they need XT90s. But the idea is the same. I have accidentally overheated them when soldering, though. Nowadays I just plug a spare connector into the other end to keep everything properly aligned in case my heavy handed aolder-gunning makes things go melty again.

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I completely forgot that I put XT60s on my Lutzow batteries and those wires are 10 AWG.

I wish my soldering gun was hot enough to melt the connectors. Its hot enough to make a secure connection on the connector but that's about it. I have been eye balling a nice soldering station. For $80 - $100 that seems really reasonable but after I finish the Bismarck's wiring, I'm not planning on doing much soldering in the near future. Well, until I build a Bayern or Indiana.

7. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

I got one of these Weller soldering guns for connectors.
    $47 right now. Great investment.

Weller 260-Watt/200W Professional Soldering Gun Kit with Three Tips and Solder in Carrying Case - D550PK https://a.co/d/73Dvoo4